How To Use Our Structured Settlement Calculator
You’ll need to provide basic information about your structured settlement contract to use our structured settlement calculator.
Information you’ll need to input into our calculator:
- Month and year for next payment: You do not need to input the date.
- Payment amount: This isn’t your full structured settlement amount, just the amount you’ll be paid this cycle.
- Number of payments remaining: Include the upcoming payment in this calculation.
- Frequency of payments: Input how often you receive payments for an accurate calculation.
Our structured settlement calculator uses a basic formula that applies specifics from your settlement contract and a fixed discount rate of 9% to determine how much your payments are worth.
Remember that this is just an estimate, and your structured settlement could be worth more if you successfully negotiate a lower discount rate from your buyer.
Our calculator has specific parameters to calculate how much your remaining structured settlement payments are worth.
For the calculator to function properly, your structured settlement must have:
- A minimum of 60 months of payments remaining
- A maximum of 500 payments remaining
- A minimum value of $25,000
- A maximum value of $1 million
Fill out the calculator with your information and one of our trusted partners will contact you for a free quote. If your structured settlement doesn’t follow the criteria above, know that our calculator won’t provide an immediate estimate.
Factors Impacting the Value of Your Structured Settlement
The number of remaining payments, the amount left, the discount rate and the amount you want to sell will all impact the value of your structured settlement.
Structured settlement purchasing companies, also known as factoring companies, set the discount rate. According to the National Association of Settlement Purchasers (NASP), the discount rate is generally between 9% and 18%.
There are other transaction costs to consider that will lower the value of your structured settlement:
- Brokerage commissions
- Legal and notary fees
- Administration charges
Inflation will also affect the present value of your future structured settlement payments. As time goes on, the cash from your structured settlemehttps://www.structuredsettlements.com/structured-settlements/present-value/nt loses value due to inflation. For example, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that $5,000 in 2000 had the same buying power as $8,861 in 2023.
The Process for Selling Your Structured Settlement
If our calculator provides an estimate that would ease your financial burden, the next step is to sell your structured settlement.
You’ll need to choose a trustworthy factoring company to purchase your structured settlement. You can choose to sell a portion or all remaining payments. Note that it’s very rare to transfer all remaining payments, according to NASP.
As an additional layer of protection, a judge will have to approve the transaction and ensure that you’re not being taken advantage of. You cannot sell your structured settlements without court approval.
Structured Settlement Payout Examples
Below are payout examples ordered from the highest payout to the most modest payout. This can help you get a better idea of how much you can cash out from your structured settlement.
The following examples were calculated with a 9% discount rate in mind. Your actual payout could be higher or lower depending on the discount rate you negotiate with the factoring company you choose.
|Next Payment Date||October 2023|
|Number of Payments Remaining||60|
|Frequency of Payments||Monthly|
|Structured Settlement Payout’s Estimated Worth:||$471,055.30|
|Next Payment Date||May 2024|
|Number of Payments Remaining||50|
|Frequency of Payments||Every four months|
|Structured Settlement Payout’s Estimated Worth:||$121,310.45|
|Next Payment Date||July 2024|
|Number of Payments Remaining||30|
|Frequency of Payments||Semi-annually|
|Structured Settlement Payout’s Estimated Worth:||$15,305.00|
Structured Settlement Calculator FAQs
What information do you need to use a structured settlement calculator?
For an accurate estimate, you need to know the month and year of your next scheduled payment, the payment amount, the number of payments remaining and the frequency of your payments.
Can a structured settlement calculator calculate lump sum amounts for you?
Yes — our structured settlement calculator uses simple details of your contract with a 9% discount rate to calculate a lump sum.
How can a structured settlement calculator help you make informed financial decisions?
A structured settlement calculator can help you find out if an adequate lump sum will be provided for your financial needs. Say you need $60,000 to cover unexpected medical costs. If you use a structured settlement calculator and receive an estimate of a $20,000 lump sum, you know selling your structured settlement would not be a beneficial financial decision.
7 Cited Research Articles
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2023). CPI Inflation Calculator. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
- Kolpan, K. (2022). Selling a Structured Settlement: It Could Cost You More Than You Know. Retrieved from https://www.kolpan.com/selling-a-structured-settlement-it-could-cost-you-more-than-you.html
- National Association of Settlement Purchasers. (2022). Benefits of the Secondary Market. Retrieved from https://www.nasp-usa.com/benefits_of_the_secondary_mark.php
- National Association of Settlement Purchasers. (2022.). Protect Yourself. Retrieved from https://www.nasp-usa.com/protect_yourself.php
- National Association of Settlement Purchasers. (2022). Secondary Market FAQ. Retrieved from https://www.nasp-usa.com/secondary_market_faq.php
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. (2013, May 9). Pension or Settlement Income Streams. Retrieved from https://www.investor.gov/introduction-investing/general-resources/news-alerts/alerts-bulletins/investor-bulletins/pension-or
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. (2018, February 2). What should I know before giving up my monthly disability, personal injury or structured settlement payments in exchange for a one time lump sum payment? Retrieved from https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-cfpb/what-should-i-know-before-giving-up-my-monthly-disability-personal-injury-or-structured-settlement-payments-in-exchange-for-a-one-time-lump-sum-payment-en-2025